Ok so I surprised myself and actually finished sewing Ewenice (YOU-niss) tonight. She’s now officially my mascot. Until I find something more fascinating. Which doesn’t take long for …oooh look at that! Shiny!
Where was I?
Last post we’d just finished her head. The body is super easy. First I just sewed the legs and feet. I didn’t put stuffing in the legs, but I did add a bit to the feet just for giggles. Her body got stuffed too. “Hey Ewenice! Get STUFFED!” (I am such a juvenile…but then again, I play World of Warcraft at age 45…)
Here are some pictures:
That’s me at age 4. Proof that they did indeed have photos in 1970. AND proof that not only can I not take good pictures, but I can’t have good pictures taken OF me. Still, I was so cute. Just look at me…I wish I had brushed my hair. Why didn’t I brush my hair? Oh yeah, that’s during my “allergic to hair brushing period”. That was followed by my “hair cut short like a boys because I wouldn’t take care of it” period. Um…where was I?
You put the left leg in, you take the left leg out, you put the left leg in and you shake it all about… HEY! GUESS WHAT? I’ve already taken my last medicine dose of the night! I’m going to really regret this post in the morning. Maybe.
Here’s a side view to show that the foot is barely stuffed. Just enough to make it interesting:
I put the legs aside after they were sewn together to concentrate on just getting the body together and attached to the head. It wasn’t difficult but took a little bit of thinking to do it. Get yourself a seam ripper. Like an eraser, I use the seam ripper all the time. Just be gentle using it when you are working with felt. You don’t want to tear apart the felt.
I sewed around the body til I got to where the legs go. I kind of crossed the legs up at the top and placed those inside the body (the front two were crossed at the top together and then the back two were crossed over each other in the back…I’m hoping that’s obvious and I’m just babbling for no apparent reason). After I got the legs sewn in I shoved stuffing into the body and sewed Ewenice the rest of the way up.
I noticed that if I held her up her head flopped backwards. BADLYCRAFTED INDEED. So I did what I normally do. Fix mistakes. I don’t think crafts through enough to not make the mistakes but I’m pretty good at bandaging. So in order to get Ewenice’s head to stay forward I just sewed the green stem to her body and voila! Non-wonky headed Ewenice.
Here is a pic of a Ewenice cartoon for comparison: